What does a school counselor do?
- She visits classrooms to help students understand themselves and others.
- She works with small groups on study habits, self-concept, conflict resolution, and improving academic performance.
- She meets with new students to help them adjust well to school.
- Talks with parents and teachers
HOW CAN A STUDENT SEE THE COUNSELOR?
- The student can ask to see the counselor.
- Parents can ask the counselor to see a student.
- Teachers can ask the counselor to see a student.
Counselors visit each classroom every week to discuss topics such as:
- Social Skills
- Personal Safety
- Middle School
We use songs, games puppets, art, and stories to help children understand and apply concepts.
GROUP AND INDIVIDUAL SESSIONS
These sessions are all voluntary, and are offered to all students with parental permission. These services are provided for students so they can have the opportunity to address concerns that could get in the way of learning. Groups last from 30 – 40 minutes and meetonce a week for about 6 weeks.